Experiential Learning

Experiential Learning

Students may request academic credit through experiential learning internships, research, and independent study. Note that not all internships qualify for academic credit, and it will be up to the student's faculty advisor to approve awarded units. 

Course Codes:

  • ENV 292- Graduate Internship, S/U graded
    • Internships are an opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge under the supervision of a professional.
    • These units are not for the required Practicum. Please see more information on the Practicum here.
  • ENV 298- Independent Study, letter graded
    • Independent or Group Study courses are directed study courses intended to add to the existing
      curriculum by allowing a student to study academic material that is not currently offered in an
      existing course. Independent Study must have a faculty sponsor and be approved by the Program Chair.
  • ENV 299- Research, S/U graded


  • Students must submit Experiential Learning for Academic Credit forms by the 12th day of instruction. After approval from the Faculty Advisor, the Program Coordinator will grant the student with a CRN to register for corresponding units.
  • Topic of work must enables students to apply academic concepts and methods to grow intellectually.
  • Students working relevant full-time jobs may use internship credit to supplement course load.


  • 1 unit of credit= 3 working hours a week per quarter
    • Example: A student is assisting a professor in a current policy project, and performs this work for 6 hours a week over a 10 week quarter. This student could be awarded 2 units of ENV 292. 

Download the Request Form