Funding your Graduate Education

Types of Funding

  • Fellowships
    • Program fellowships
    • Grad Studies Fellowships (Internal Fellowships)
    • External Fellowships
  • Academic Student Employment
    • Teaching Assistant (TA)
    • Associate In_
    • Reader
    • Graduate Student Researcher (GSR)
    • Tutor
  • Student Loans


A fellowship in this context is the equivalent of a scholarship. You do not have to pay back this award, but there are some eligibility requirements. At minimum, you must be enrolled full-time and maintain a 3.0 GPA.

Program fellowships

All applicants are considered for programmatic fellowships at the time they are considered for admission. The dollar amount of fellowship awards vary each year, based on a number of factors including the number of applicants and the funding allocation our program receives. Applicants are scored for admission and fellowship consideration using this rubric. 

If you are awarded a fellowship, you will be notified directly via the online application system. Prospective awardees are not required to accept fellowship offers prior to April 15th. 

Internal fellowships

Internal fellowships are administrated through Graduate Studies. The value of fellowships vary from $1,000 to as much as $50,000 per year. Prospective graduate students apply for internal fellowships via the application for admission. You can see a description of fellowship awards here. You must meet the program's application deadline to be considered for these fellowships.

Continuing students apply via the Annual Internal Fellowship Competition for Continuing Graduate Students. The application deadline for continuing students is January 15.

You can see information on the types of fellowships and eligibility requirements here.

External fellowships

External fellowships are scholarships that originate from off-campus. You can see more information on how to find opportunities here.

Academic Student Employment

See more about Academic Student Employment here.

Travel Awards

Graduate Studies Travel Award 
  • Graduate Studies accepts applications for graduate travel to meetings or nationally or internationally recognized professional societies twice annually. See more information here.
Graduate Student Association (GSA)
  • Travel awards are used to help graduate students at UC Davis attend conferences or professional development opportunities. Applications are accepted twice a year. See more information here.

Student Loans

To use student loans, you should submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For questions about your FAFSA, please contact UC Davis Financial Aid.

  • Note that Pell Grants are for undergraduate students only.


Please see a list of 10 financial support tips here.